Friday, August 5, 2011

A Letter From Liz: India #1


Blessed. That is the word I would like to use to describe my life right now. I am blessed. Blessed to have graduated from college, blessed to be spending time over the summer with my family, and blessed to be going to India this fall!
Yep, you read it correctly: India! I have been given the amazing opportunity to spend almost 6 months in southern India this fall, serving as an International Guest (IG) at Hebron School. Hebron is an international Christian boarding school with about 300 students. As an IG, I will build relationships with the international students who live in the dorms, act as a chaperone for field trips, be involved in the school's drama and music programs, and mentor young women. I am especially looking forward to the relationships that I know God will help me to develop with these precious girls!

If you take a look at this map, you'll see where I'll be living for the next few months. Hebron is in the city of Ooty and has a beautiful location - 7000 feet up in the mountains right next to a national forest preserve.
I have never been to India before, and am trying to prepare myself for jet lag, lots of curry, auto-rickshaws, and many opportunities for ministry. As a missionary kid myself, I lived in a dorm for my last two years of high school. I am excited to see how God will help me to connect with these kids, whether through our shared history as missionary kids, or through other common interests. However I end up getting to know them, I look forward to showing them the love of God and providing a listening ear and counsel when they need it. Please be praying for God-given wisdom and patience!

I also have some other news for you: I graduated from college! Finally! I now have my Bachelor's degree from the Moody Bible Institute in Chicago, IL.
I spent two wonderful and challenging years at Moody, learning more than my brain could hold, developing great friendships, and being well prepared for ministry. I thank God that he made it possible for me to attend Moody, and am grateful for all of the professors, fellow students, and staff members who made an impact on my life. My degree is in Bible and Pre-Counseling, and I will be using the skills I learned at Moody to support and be a resource for the kids at Hebron.

A Prayer Card and some Prayer Requests

If you would like one of my prayer cards to help you to remember to pray for me and my time over in India, please send me your address!
Send me an e-mail: liz.moncherami@gmail.com and I would be happy to mail you as many as you would like. :)
I am leaving on August 2nd, and will return to Minnesota on December 18th.

Health. India is home to over a billion people, and probably a billion diseases as well! I have been vaccinated against some of them, but would appreciate prayers that I stay strong and healthy!

Safety in my travels. I will be traveling alone for over 24 hours to get to India. Please pray that I will catch all of my flights, that my seat-mates would be friendly, and that I would be able to share the Gospel with someone!

Relationships with students and staff. I will be working closely with students in the dorms and with my fellow IG's. Pray that I would be a compassionate listener and that God would give me wisdom to know how best to love and counsel the kids under my care.

Financial provision. God has been faithful to provide for my needs, and has enabled me to graduate from college nearly free from debt! It truly is a blessing to be able to head out on the mission field so soon after college to put into practice what I've been learning! I am still in need of finances to support my trip to India and to pay back a few small educational loans. If you would like to partner with me in this area, either visit WMPL online (enter my name in the designation box) or use the contact info below. Thanks!

Future Plans. I know where I'll be spending the next six months, but after that I have no plans! Pray that God would reveal what He would like me to do after my time in India.


World Mission Prayer League | Liz Lackey
232 Clifton Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55403

E-mail: liz.moncherami@gmail.com
Skype: liz.lackey

No comments:

Post a Comment